By Thomas N. Corns
- An lively and provocative background of English literature from 1603-1690.
- Part of the most important Blackwell heritage of English Literature series.
- Locates seventeenth-century English literature in its social and cultural contexts.
- Considers the actual stipulations of literary construction and consumption.
- Looks on the complicated political, non secular, cultural and social pressures on seventeenth-century writers.
- Features shut serious engagement with significant authors and texts
Thomas Corns is an incredible overseas authority on Milton, the Caroline court docket, and the political literature of the English Civil battle and the Interregnum.
Read or Download A History of Seventeenth-Century English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature) PDF
Best british & irish contemporary literature books
With its emphasis on early smooth emissaries and their function in England's expansionary ventures and cross-cultural encounters around the globe, this choice of essays takes the messenger determine as a focus for the dialogue of transnational trade and sex within the 16th and 17th centuries.
This ebook examines Thomas De Quincey's inspiration of the subconscious within the gentle of contemporary cognitive technology and nineteenth-century technology. It demanding situations Freudian theories because the default technique in an effort to comprehend De Quincey's oeuvre and the subconscious in literature extra generally.
Jonathan Coe is a highly-acclaimed author whose paintings has loved around the globe good fortune. This learn, the 1st of its style, explores the whole diversity of Coe's paintings, providing readers a complete and available evaluate of his novels, fiction and different writings, in addition to the encompassing feedback. the quantity additionally incorporates a new interview with Coe.
Tracing the continuities and traits within the complicated dating among literature and technology within the lengthy 19th century, this spouse presents students with a complete, authoritative and up to date origin for examine during this box. In highbrow, fabric and social phrases, the transformation passed through via Western tradition over the interval used to be extraordinary.
- John Kemble’s Gibraltar Journal: The Spanish Expedition of the Cambridge Apostles, 1830-1831
- Writing North America in the Seventeenth Century: English Representations in Print and Manuscript
- The Interpretation of Samuel Johnson (Studies in Modern History)
- Mourning and Mysticism in First World War Literature and Beyond: Grappling with Ghosts
- Writing and Reading Royal Entertainments: From George Gascoigne to Ben Jonson
Extra resources for A History of Seventeenth-Century English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature)
A History of Seventeenth-Century English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature) by Thomas N. Corns