By Thomas Habinek
- Explores the position of the orator, in particular the 2 maximum figures of the culture, Demosthenes and Cicero
- Investigates where of rhetoric on the middle of old education
- Considers the position of rhetoric because the finish of antiquity.
- Includes a thesaurus of right names and technical phrases; a chronological desk of political occasions, authors, orators, and rhetorical works; and recommendations for extra reading.
Read Online or Download Ancient Rhetoric and Oratory (Blackwell Introductions to the Classical World) PDF
Best rhetoric books
Language, Ideology, and the Human: New Interventions redefines the serious photo of language as a method of symptoms and ideological tropes inextricably associated with human lifestyles. supplying reflections at the prestige, discursive percentages, and political, ideological and sensible makes use of of oral or written observe in either modern society and the paintings of earlier thinkers, this booklet traverses South African courts, British clinics, language colleges in East Timor, felony cells, cinemas, literary feedback textbooks and philosophical treatises so one can forge a brand new, varied point of view on language, ideology, and what it potential to be human.
Humor macht das Leben leichter, gerade in Situationen, in denen einem schon mal das Lachen vergehen kann. Denn durch Humor gewinnen wir Abstand, wechseln die Perspektive und merken, dass wir die meisten Dinge gar nicht so schrecklich ernst nehmen müssen. Doch wie funktioniert Humor? Welcher Humor passt zu wem?
The sturdiness of the Esperanza Peace and Justice middle in San Antonio, Texas, means that it truly is attainable for a social swap association to at the same time deal with racism, classism, sexism, homophobia, imperialism, environmental justice, and peace—and to be triumphant. Activism, Alliance construction, and the Esperanza Peace and Justice heart makes use of ethnographic learn to supply an instructive case research of the significance and demanding situations of confronting injustice in all of its manifestations.
"Language and Human Nature" exposes a century's worthy of incorrect considering language, to show the various risks it provides, and to indicate a route to restoration. It starts off by way of interpreting the motives of alterations within the English vocabulary. those occasionally take the shape of latest phrases, yet extra usually that of latest senses for outdated phrases.
- Arguing Constructively
- Argumentation Theory and the Rhetoric of Assent (Studies Rhetoric & Communicati)
- Talk About Writing: The Tutoring Strategies of Experienced Writing Center Tutors
- I'd Love to Argue with You...But I'm Not Exactly Sure What You Said
- Tamil Oratory and the Dravidian Aesthetic: Democratic Practice in South India (Cultures of History)
- Attic Oratory and Performance (Routledge Monographs in Classical Studies)
Extra info for Ancient Rhetoric and Oratory (Blackwell Introductions to the Classical World)
Ancient Rhetoric and Oratory (Blackwell Introductions to the Classical World) by Thomas Habinek